Who You Are
You’re a design mind at the top of your craft. Once a hands-on maker, now you operate in a zen state far above the weeds, managing designers in the fulfilment of a larger creative vision. Familiar with what’s “been done,” you know how to push design expectations without sacrificing forward momentum or client goals and realities. You help others navigate creative confusion, providing a clear and confident sense of direction for your designers, clients, and teammates across departments.
What You’ll Do
As a Design Director at Madwell, you’ll lead a team of designers at various levels, providing direction and mentorship in both the strategy and craft of design relative to client needs. You’ll cast the right designers for the right projects, helping to managing their time and wellbeing while also providing valuable insight and support to the creative directors on your own accounts. Alongside other Design Directors, you’ll ensure our design practices, output, and culture are consistently of the highest quality agency-wide.
Specifically, you’ll be:
- Managing a multi-level team of designers day to day, including work quality, time management, and ensuring administrative, organizational, and communications best practices
- Evaluating performance and developing designers on your team via weekly 1:1s, goal setting, and formal and informal reviews
- Directing teams across mediums and workstreams through clear direction, constructive, actionable feedback, and critique; stepping in when needed
- Working with Creative Directors to deliver adventurous, smart, strategically sound work on time and on budget
- Working closely with creative directors, Accounts, and Production to ensure a healthy, holistic approach to client needs
- Managing and resolving creative conflict internally and with the client
- Interfacing with and presenting work to the client, including articulating your design decisions and the strategy behind your thinking
- Maintaining open lines of communication with your manager and teams and escalating issues when necessary
- Helping CDs and ACDs cast the right designers based on their relative expertise for a given project
- Providing design leadership on both existing business and new business pitches
- Developing and refining the processes necessary to methodically address design challenges of varying shapes and sizes
Our Must Haves
- Demonstrated excellence in design theory and best practices
- Exhibited strength in conceptual thinking, including but also beyond visuals
- Experience managing other designers and guiding them toward their best work without doing the work for them
- Experience creating compelling design across multiple channels for multiple clients
- Experience developing campaigns and/or cohesive marketing pushes
- Design fluency across mediums; able to think and create in a medium-agnostic way
- Excellent communication skills; comfortable representing the work to clients and maintaining open lines with your manager and team
- Superior strategic judgment
- Adaptable, proactive approach to problem solving, including the ability to overcome creative uncertainty and work through unfamiliar design systems and techniques
- Phenomenal work ethic
- Empathy for your internal team, the client, and the client’s consumers
- Comfort dealing with complex critical feedback in a way that allows you to maintain decorum, professionalism, and maybe even a sense of humor
- Ability to inspire, motivate, cultivate, and clarify
Where You’ve Been
- 7+ years of professional design experience; ideally in a creative agency setting
Interested? Please Send Us:
- Your CV
- A nontraditional cover letter telling us why you want in on Madwell
- A link to your portfolio
We’re Madwell, a full-service creative agency headquartered in sunny Bushwick with sister offices in Denver and Hong Kong. Get to know us at Madwell.com.
Our Diversity Commitment
We celebrate diversity in our employees and we’re committed to building a safe and inclusive workplace environment where we all can thrive. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage future Madwellians from traditionally underrepresented and underserved communities to apply.
No phone calls or recruiters please.